In this episode, Rex chats to long-time friend and fellow Kiwi, David Metcalf, about the courage it takes to change your life – to move from the familiar into the unknown and into your dream life. David is a corporate manager-turned photographer and activist, who moved to bali
in 2012 after falling in love with Indonesia. His passion for activism means he’s heavily involved in working with indigenous people including the Dayak people, using the power of photographs to tell their story and encourage positive social change.
He also embarks on photography and activist tours to other lesser known areas including Java, Kalimantan, Sulawesi Nagaland (NE India), Odisha Tribal area in India and Vietnam.
Listen to the podcast here or continue reading below.
- Kiwi, grew up in Wellington till he was 19 then he went travelling
- Went to Indonesia in 2001 and fell in love with the country
- Based in Bali for 7 years now – living his dream
- Does photography tours and works with indigenous people and on projects that make an impact
- Actively involved with the Dayak people
- Being successful in the corporate world but being unhappy
- How being made redundant gave David the life he’d always wanted
- Making a choice after he got made redundant and feeling the pressure to stick with the corporate world
- David’s negative voice telling him he will fail and realising that those thoughts will never go away so you have to accept that and learn to deal with them
- Connecting more with his intuition and letting the fear slip away
- What David would tell his younger self – have the courage and tenacity to just live your dream
- What is success?
- The next stage for David – get involved in helping people who want to make the same transition I have. Cultural healing journeys
- Where David gets his inspiration – the people he’s met along the way who are trying to preserve their culture and environment
- The incredible experiences Rex and David have shared together
- What David thinks people need to understand about indigenous cultures and the environment
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES VIA EMAIL OF THE MIND MATTERS PODCAST
We’ll let you know via email when we release new episodes